The School Council at Castle Hill School is a representative structure for students, through which they can become involved in current issues within school, working in partnership with the leadership team, staff, governors and parents for the benefit of the school and its students.
The School Council seeks to involve as many students as possible in school activities and decision-making. There is a core steering group of students, with groups of other students from each phase in school, invited to take part in meetings throughout the year, as appropriate.
School Council Activities
Through the School Council, students can become involved in many activities within the school, such as:
- Working with leadership team and staff on the review and development of school rules.
- Providing pupil voice in review or development of school policies, eg whole-school healthy eating policy or anti-bullying policy.
- Representing the school at wider network meetings, such as collaborating with other School Councils within the multi-academy trust.
- Planning school events, such as Christmas or Eid parties.
It is vital that there is effective communication between the School Council and classes throughout school. Students throughout the school should be aware of, and able to give their views to the Council on issues being discussed and should be able to put issues on the agenda for discussion. The role of school staff to facilitate this communication, or to act as advocates, is essential.
It is important that there is good communication between the School Council, the students they represent, the leadership team, staff, governors and parents. This is achieved by:
- Providing a notice board where information on the Council’s activities is posted.
- Providing up-to- date information via the school website and newsletter.
- Announcing upcoming events, or reporting on events, during weekly assemblies.
- Ensuring regular opportunities for School Council members to liaise with students they represent.
- Attending meetings with members of the school leadership team, staff, governors and parents.
The School Council will coordinate fundraising activities for school events or for charity throughout the year. The school bursar has responsibility for ensuring that any money raised by the Council is used for the purposes for which it was collected.